Saturday, January 10, 2009

Today was a pretty lazy day. When you don't eat breakfast until after noon, you know you're not going to accomplish much. While watching CNN this afternoon I decided to write down something they were discussing. It's a list of ten things you need to remember in order to keep your job in this poor economy:

1. Create Success
2. Set Short-term Goals
3. Watch your Attitude
4. Keep your network Active
5. Update your Skills
6. Take on More
7. Forget about your Work-Life Balance
8. Take a Hard Look at your Finances
9. Never Badmouth Anyone
10. Remember that you are a Product

I'm not sure if I agree with all of them, especially #7. Most of them, however, do make a lot of sense.

I also finished reading a novel today and decided to watch the movie. The thought of collecting rare books has also piqued my interest lately. I had no idea that a 1st Edition/1st Printing of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone in hardcover was worth nearly $50,000. Evidently only 500 were released, and 300 of those were given to libraries. It's amazing to think that something published 12 years ago and sold for $20 could be worth so much. I bought my copy in 1997, but it was the 10th printing of the 1st edition, which isn't worth anywhere near as much.

Ibert - 3
Feld - 2

Tomasi - 26
McAllister - 27

Lauba - 31
Albright - 63

Saint-Saens - 60

Ticks to g0: 212
Days until the first audition: 28
Ticks needed per day: 7.57

I might give up on Saint-Saens... my bassoon playing is pretty awful at the moment.