Sunday, December 28, 2008

This has been a very sad week. Yesterday afternoon I received an e-mail from the daughter one of my private teachers saying that he has passed away...

Although I have only studied with him for a short period of time - about six months - I feel as if I have lost one of my best friends. He owned and operated a musical instrument repair business for nearly 30 years, and agreed to take me on as an apprentice over the summer. I feel very fortunate to have studied with him. I feel as I have learned so much in the process. He was a genuine person, and one of the nicest people I have ever met.

Ten days ago we went out for margaritas after working on a saxophone all afternoon, during which we talked about ways of expanding the business in Tallahassee. Now the business is closing it's doors... I wish I could help keep it alive, but I'm just not experienced enough to even attempt that sort of pursuit.

I have no idea how he died. I hope he went peacefully in his sleep. I'm not certain, but I think he was only 59 years old. It's such a sad time. Rest in peace, my friend.